Probiotic Fermented Hot Sauce
- 3/4lb - 1lb peppers
- 1-2 cup of 3.5% salt brine
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 teaspoon of chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum (optional)
3.5% salt brine:
- 8g of Kosher salt to 1 cup water (1.5 teaspoons)
- Wash and slice the peppers into rings and place them in a bowl.
- Crush each clove of garlic and place them in the bowl.
- Lightly coat the peppers with Kosher salt (1/2 - 1 teaspoon).
- Let the peppers rest for an hour, then pack them into jars.
- For redish sauce, add your chipolte pepper.
- Cover the peppers completely with brine, and add a weight* so they are submerged.
- Ferment for 1-2 weeks at 60-70F. The peppers should be suffiecently sour, with a pH level of around 3
- Puree the mixture and strain the liquid.
- Add xanthan gum if desired, and blend.
*You can use anything non-reactive (glass, ceramic, plastic, etc) to weigh down the peppers.
them to be more readily packed into the jar